Madrid, 22 June 2020. ARAP Coordination Unit continues to telework from Ghana and Spain during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have updated our Contingency Plan and we continue to promote the use of new technologies. Some of the latest updates:
Relationship and performance with Stakeholders
· The XV SC of ARAP was held on 28 May 2020 under the online mode: all the Stakeholders, DUE, and ARAP HQ and CU were present. The evolution of the activities under the programme in the last quarter was analysed, highlighting, among others, the realization of the AC Platform, which brought together more than 11 institutions and concluded with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between them in the fight against corruption and organised crime.
After analysing the reorganization of the programme for the implementation of the pending activities under the new circumstances imposed by the pandemic, the previously proposed WP modality was considered, as well as the design of online activities and training under the e-learning modality. In addition, it was reported and agreed to close the ARAP COVID-19 action, which will be implemented with the delivery of equipment and connection packages at the end of June, the first week of July, in the promotion of safe and effective work environment.
Some actions were highlighted that require activation before the closure of the programme, such as the implementation of the Web Library, delivery of equipment and vehicles, as well as the activities necessary for the orderly closure of the administrative and contractual aspects, announcing the general lines of the Exit Strategy to be presented for general approval in July.
The next SC will take place on 27 August 2020 and the modality of realisation is still pending; online or in-person, depending on the evolution of the situation and the maintenance of the imposed restrictions.
· On 5 June 2020, the last meeting of the Web Library Committee was held, presided over by the Supreme Court Justice in charge, in an online mode. The meeting was attended by members of the CLR, JS, Library, technical teams from the Institutions and ARAP, as well as the CU.
The last steps have been organized to complete and update the content and design of the website as well as to establish the opening mode, under the restrictions imposed by the pandemic, agreeing to the restricted mode in person to the authorities and simultaneously online with users. The tentative date initially scheduled for 6 August 2020 to be confirmed according to the agenda of the authorities of the EU and JS.
· The schedule of the 2nd pilot in complaints of the EPA, and its final evaluation, has been reformulated. The online activity has been designed, with the participation of the expert and the EPA, and is set for the last week of June.
The manual, which will serve as a basis for this 2nd pilot, has been completed and is being printed and distributed telematically. The training of the EPA staff is being designed for the two final weeks of July.
· The addendum has been signed with the service provider, and the implementation of the COVID-19 action is underway, promoting a safe working environment through the use of new technologies, providing the institutions with the platforms, equipment, and connectivity described below, according to their needs and possibilities of the programme. The delivery and installation are planned for the beginning of July, accompanied by the signature of the corresponding donation and visibility campaign.
- The Legal Unit of FIIAPP has yet to finalize the documents and is working on the transfer of ownership of the computer platforms created in the programme for the institutions: AGO, JS, CHRAJ, GPS, EPA, accompanied by a technical assistance plan for the effective transfer to be carried out with the assistance of the expert in new technologies of the programme. It is expected that in the next month the transmission of these registration and management platforms (crucial products in the programme) will become effective assuming the administration of them the Institutions as a first step in the Exit Strategy and closure of ARAP.
FIIAPP has concluded the public bidding for the provision of equipment and has proceeded to sign the supply contract with the company awarded on 15 June 2020, being able to start the steps for the commissioning of the products required in the programme that will be delivered to the Ghanaian institutions in support of the implementation of the tasks involved in their national mandates in accordance with the needs analysed and supported by the lines of activity of the programme: It is foreseen that computer equipment will be delivered for the development of the General Solicitor's Management platform (AGO), for the development of the processing of internal affairs in the PPSB of the GPS, equipment for the fight against noise pollution to the EPA, communication support equipment for the communication units of EOCO, as well as equipment and technological material for the processing of accountability and investigation files in the CHRAJ, among others.
The signature of this award makes it possible to assume that the material will be delivered to the Institutions sufficiently in advance of the closure of the programme.
- The creation of the Cinema Van for use in the information and public awareness campaigns carried out by the NCCE has been completed, and the process of exporting from Spain and importing into the country has begun, with delivery expected in one month. The process of importing, paying taxes, customs duties and delivery to Ghana has been reviewed with the supplier and national authorities to ensure availability.
- The printing of the manuals and validated secondary legislation is underway and the process has begun with two LAC codes. Strategy plan of JS.
- The adequate platforms to carry out e-learning training have been analysed in an online meeting with all the Stakeholders of the programme. The activities included in the work plan have also been defined, which can be tackled under this modality according to the strategic plan designed for this purpose in April by KE in Communication and Public Education.
- The possibility of carrying out activities on-line has been approved, and to date, the validation of the LAC strategic plan has been initiated telematically. Presented by the consultant the strategy, an on-line process of analysis, examination and evaluation is being designed for its validation with the on-line institution which will be discussed and approved in a meeting on April 23rd with: the Coordination Unit - KE Rule of LAW, KE public education, the consultant who has elaborated the strategy, Director of Lac and heads of the LAC management units. The process of validation of the strategy document has been initiated.
- The design of the programme has been presented, the work plan, as well as the Guide of the manual for the investigation of the environmental crimes with the EPA Legal Unit are closing the concrete aspects of the same one with the EPA, and approving the content of the training to realise: the training will be carried out in accordance with the approved materials to be used as an online curriculum and the schedule will be established.
- News related to corruption, transparency and public accountability in Ghana is being collected and analysed, providing information on how the extraordinary situation of the COVID-19 crisis is affecting these areas.
- The contracting of the NCCE (National Commission of Civic Education) web page has begun, in support of the Ghanaian citizenry communication and awareness campaign aimed at informing and raising awareness about the prevention of the COVID-19 virus.
Internal Programme Planning
- Work is being carried out in the areas and tasks defined in the Contingency Plan by the individuals and experts responsible for them as initially planned. Work in progress.
During the past weeks and on a regular and daily basis, virtual meetings were successfully organised through Webex not only for internal reorganisation with the programme team, but also for the implementation of activities, as well as with media and material suppliers for the execution of activities and with experts and institutions for the design - redesign of the same. The daily pulse of the implementation of the online programme has been taken up again without difficulty.
Relationship and communication with the EU
- The 5th financial report for implementation over the past year has been approved. Also already released the payment of 2,500,000€.
- In the final phase of approval - Addendum No. 5 of the programme has been signed with the DUE with retroactive effect from 1 June 2020, for the extension of the deadline for contracting (which ended on 5 July 2020), standardised adjustment of budget items, and a budget amendment.
- In addition, at the request of the DUE, concrete action has been taken to respond to and support the fight against the crisis generated by the pandemic which affects many areas; health, social, economic and labour. The activity is focused on strong support for the promotion of the maintenance of safety and effectiveness at work under the circumstances imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
As described above in coordination with national institutions, the support, reflected as part of Addendum No. 5, focuses on promoting prevention and safety, while maintaining the effectiveness of work activity under the circumstances imposed by the risks of the pandemic:
- With measures for the development and implementation of new communication and information technologies in the institutions, facilitating online development and teleworking in the institutions as a safe means of providing work during the pandemic (and as a means of working in the future to respond to the foreseeable changes in the way work services are provided).
- With support measures and international good practice guides on safety, hygiene, and prevention in the workplace, as well as guides and good practices on teleworking.
- With the support of new technologies to improve the social communication tools that the programme's partner institutions are using in their information and crisis prevention COVID-19 campaigns.
Given the exceptional nature of the situation in which we find ourselves, the Contingency Plan will be reviewed again in two weeks.
We are #UnitedAgainstCOVID19